Trips to Cuba



The Center for Global Justice is planning several educational trips to cuba drawing on our 25 years of connections with this unique, forbidden (by the US government) country.  We are able to provide a unique in-depth experience that you will never forget.

Currently planned trips are open to all with a professional interest in the trip focus.

June 1 to 15, 2014: RENOVATION OF CUBAN SOCIALISM continues a dialog with leading Cuban thinkers in the social sciences about current changes underway, the reasons for them as well as their impact. There will also be some focus on the global crisis of capitalism.

November 21-30, 2014:  ORGANIC AGRICULTURE AND COOPERATIVES IN CUBA.  Two decades ago Cuba was the first country to convert from industrial agriculture to organic agriculture.  Today it is converting a major part of its economy to cooperatives.  Learn all about these exciting developments from the Cubans themselves. Read More Here


Your travel to Cuba will be under a general license for professional research from the U.S. Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC).  The U.S. government has imposed a severe embargo against Cuba  for the last 50+ years.  It restricts travel to Cuba unless licensed by OFAC.  Here is what their regulations say about the license we will travel under:

General license for certain professional research   — 31 C.F.R. § 515.564(a):

This general license applies to ”full-time professionals conducting professional research in Cuba … Research requires a full work schedule of noncommercial, academic research that has a substantial likelihood of public dissemination and is in the traveler’s professional area.” 

  OFAC does not define ‘professional.’  It is not limited to professors or doctors or lawyers.  Your profession is what you have done for a living.  If that connects with the theme of a trip so it offers a venue for you to carry out investigations in your field, then you qualify for this license.  That means, if your profession is organic farmer, organic educator, cooperativista, writer, or whatever then you can go on our Organic Agriculture/Cooperative trip legally.  Likewise, you qualify for our Renovation of Socialism trip if you are a professor or student, writer or community organizer interested in socialism.  This general license does not require a specific application.  It is self-qualifying.  That is, you decide whether you qualify for it.  When you return to the US you may have to present an outline of the experiences that relate to your professional area and a brief professional resume.

   Even students can come under a general license for academic travel.  An undergraduate or graduate student must be enrolled in a degree program and must be traveling in a ‘structured educational program’ for which they must be receiving credit towards their degree. No institutional license is required BUT an ‘authorization letter’ from the university or college on letterhead and signed by a ‘designated representative’ of the school is required (which must give the students’ and faculty names and dates of travel and affirm the conditions listed above.

  In addition, there is a separate provision for graduate students (but not for undergraduates) which allows individual travel for research purposes which must also be authorized by the university similar to the above letter.

For more information on any of these trips contact

Articles/Papers on Cuba

Reports on Previous Trips

2013 Cuba Seminar Schedule

2013 Cuba Seminar Itinerary

Cuba Trip Diary 2010

April 2011 Educational Trip to Cuba

Schedule 2003

2002 Academic Program

Suggested Reading